Sunday, January 16, 2011

BLACK OUT OR GET OUT. literally.

ciao bellas!

Happy to report that we just survived our first INTERNATIONAL BLACKOUT! Before I go any further though I must give credit where credit is due and recognize the creative workings of my roommate Amanda Jablon who came up with this perfectly fitting blog title. Alas, though I am definitely a girl who loves to eat, "Eating My Way Through Italy" did not occur to me on my own. Thanks, Amanda!

clearly she's a food girl just like me!


Yesterday, we had another day of orientation but it was much shorter. We woke up at 8:30 had some fruit and headed to the school to get our class schedules and textbooks. I'm signed up for Level 1 Italian The Business of Art, The Florence Experience, and A History of Food. I'm so excited! My textbooks in all were 147 dollars which is about the price of ONE textbook back at penn state.

We wandered across the bridge yesterday to the other side of the river and explored a little more of the city. There's a street over there that is lined with windows of JUST jewelry. It's beautiful how all the shops here are like little privately owned stores. They're not huge 3 story department stores like in the US they're so cute!

just one of the cute little silver/gold shops on that strip

Christine was told about this supposedly delicious pizzeria called Gusta Pizza on the other side of the river so we tried finding that. I said my first full Italian sentence! "Dove il Gusta Pizza" Where is Gusta Pizza. Not too snazzy, I know, but hey! I'm starting to learn! Unfortunately by the time we found the pizzeria it was closed. They have this terrible rule where everything closes from 1-3 and i mean EVERYTHING. You literally can not get something to eat even if you're starving and laying on the street between the hours of 1 and 3. It's terrible. Luckily we found another little pizzeria that was open for another 15 minutes. I got a slice of pizza and a nutella filled pastry for 3.50 euro. It was divine!

it's on our list to come back to now that we know where it is!
yum!


Later that night, Christine, Allie, Jess and I went out to the ATM to go get some more euros (these things fly like water its TERRIBLE) and upon returning were greeted by the pleasant surprise of a roommate induced blackout. Mind you, it was already 9pm here so completely dark. We had two flashlights so divided them up amongst ourseelves and were searching for the fusebox. Close your eyes and imagine this. Ten American girls searching with two pocket flashlights in a two story apartment for hidden fuseboxes in complete darkness. The school has an emergency hotline where we can call when we get into trouble BUT they have specific rules as to what qualifies as an emergency for them to come help. A blackout is not an emergency so they simply told us to look for the fusebox. We tried 3 different fuseboxes till we found the right one and thank god it finally worked! Since the power went out I and a few other girls had bought some premade lasagna for dinner in case we couldn't make our own food. It was delicious and paired with some wine....MAGNIFICO.

Last night we were taking off for SPACE - a hugeeee nightclub in Florence. It's two stories. The first is a bar and upstairs is a dance floor with lazers and a huge spaceship hanging over it. It was nothing less than crazy. Our first international nightclub experience turned out well. It was a lot of fun and tons of people were there. I definitely plan on returning. Everyone else has to wake up soon so we can recap all the shenanigans that went down. This place is crazy and I LOVE it.

my roommate annie loving space

No comments:

Post a Comment